Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 31st - Ex. 28-29; Acts 7

Scripture: Acts 7:57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.

AC 7:59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.


Observation: Stephen is the first recorded martyr from among the disciples of Jesus. I cannot help but think about the pain of being stoned to death. Literally having a group of people throwing rocks at you until you die. Bang - out goes some teeth. Whack - your shin bone is now cracked. Smash - you won't be needing that vertebrae any longer. Gruesome.

Many of those close to Jesus died a painful death as martyrs. They all had opportunities to recant their faith, to turn their backs upon Jesus. None of them did. They all stood fast. That is how strongly they believed.

Application: There are people still being persecuted for their faith. I will work to support them. I commit myself to bathing myself in God's Word so these sacrifices will not be forgotten. I will stand tall for Christ, I am not ashamed to be counted among the believers.

Prayer: Lord, bring comfort to those who are persecuted. Let them know they are loved and being prayed for. Give them wisdom and courage. I thank you for your Word, and those who have come before me. I praise you for the men and women who believed so deeply that no sacrifice was too great. I pray that I might also have that boldness, strength and courage. Amen.

No comments: