Monday, January 21, 2008

January 21st - Ex. 1, 2; Ps. 88, Luke 21

Scripture: Exodus 2:1 Now a man of the house of Levi married a Levite woman, 2 and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. 3 But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile.

Observation: It seems clear that Moses' mother wasn't actually abandoning him. Each step in her process shows her love and care for him, and her desire for him to survive. Some have speculated that she knew the habits of Pharoh's daughter and was hoping to have her find him. I think that is a stretch from the given text, but she clearly places in where she thinks he might be found. Instead of going out passively and just letting things happen, she takes positive steps and relies upon God to do the rest.

Application: I think a lot of our Christian experience is doing our part and letting God take care of the rest. Be that through service and diligent efforts, or prayer and supplication to God. I need to be reminded from time to time that I just have to do my part, that I'm not responsible, nor capable of saving the world. But I can make a difference one day at a time, one decision at a time. I will work to be more intentional about this.

Prayer: God I pray for the wisdom to know what I can do, the courage to do it, and the skill to do it well. I pray that beyond that you would do your part, and together we will build your Kingdom. I thank you that I get to participate in building your kingdom. I praise you that you don't need me, but yet choose to use me. I praise you for your wisdom and sovereignty. Amen.

No comments: