Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 22nd - Ex. 3-5, Luke 22

Scripture: Luke 22:1 Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching, 2 and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus, for they were afraid of the people. 3 Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. 4 And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. 5 They were delighted and agreed to give him money. 6 He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present.

Observation: Thus begins what is the darkest chapters of Scripture. Luke is unique among the Synoptic Gospels (John isn't included in these) to mention Satan entering Judas. The guards here are likely those who later went and arrested Jesus. The fact that the leadership "delighted" is especially disconcerting, knowing they found happiness in the pending death of Jesus.

Application: I don't need Satan to enter me for my sinfulness to make me live in a way that bring pain to my Lord. I need to be on guard so as to not fall into sinful things. I need accountability relationships that can bring light into the dark corners of my life before they thrive and grow. I need to grow in my faith, becoming more passionate for the things that Christ was passionate about.

Prayer: Lord I praise you for your plan for our salvation. I pray that I have people in my life who can and will hold me accountable before my sin takes control of me. Give me the wisdom to listen to them and to be aware of my own sinfulness. I pray that I will find joy in what you find joy in. Amen.

No comments: