Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 15th - Gen. 37, 38 and Ps. 7; Luke 12

Scripture: Genesis 37:3 - Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him.

Observation: This richly ornamented robe is a focus point through this passage of Scripture. It illustrates Jacobs preferential treatment of Joseph over his brothers. It is this preferential treatment that leads to the action in the rest of this narrative. As you read this narrative, the author continually brings you back to this robe as a central theme to illustrate the mounting distaste the brothers have for Joseph.

Application: There are many applications that run through my mind from this passage. I am challenged to think about how I treat other people, because I really do not know when something I say or do could come back to help or hurt me. I am also challenged by this story through how God uses something intended for bad for His good. God has been challenging me to be patient and faithful, leading me blindly down a path for some time. It is reassuring to see that in spite of what is going on, God is in control.

Prayer: God I praise you for being in control of my life. I trust you, my hope is in you. I pray that you will give me the strength and courage to follow you in both good times and bad.


If I have time later tonight I will add on thoughts about the other verses. My mind has wandered to how leaders often have to deal with division and how that ties into these three readings for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think, please, of Obadiah Shoher's interpretation of the story? (here: samsonblinded.org/blog/genesis-37.htm ) He takes the text literally to prove that the brothers played a practical joke on Yosef rather than intended to murder him or sell him into slavery. His argument seems fairly strong to me, but I'd like to hear other opinions.