Thursday, January 17, 2008

January 17th - Gen. 42, 43; Ps. 5; Luke 17

Scripture: Luke 17:15 One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him--and he was a Samaritan.

LK 17:17 Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18 Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" 19 Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

Observation: This is one of those places where understanding Greek gives extra insight into the text (or having good Greek tools). When the men get up and go to the priests, the word for the healing is "cleansed" (ekatharisthesan). Jesus, however, uses the more comprehensive word "made well" (sesoken, v. 19) on speaking to the Samaritan who returned to give thanks

Application: Far too frequently I overlook God's blessing upon my life and am like the 9 who never came back. I need to learn and become better at giving God praise for his blessing. It is far to easy to attribute it to my hard work, my efforts, my intelligence and my guile. I need to learn to be more thankful. Which makes me think of Caedmon's Call who have a song called "Thankful" that I have posted the lyrics to below.

Prayer: Father, I pray that I am constantly reminded that you are the source of all that is good. I pray I may never loose sight of all that you do for me. I pray that I might bring you glory through my praises for your blessings. Thank you for my abundant life I so regularly take for granted. Amen


Caedmon's Call - Thankful

You know I ran across an old box of letters
While I was bagging up some clothes for Goodwill
But you Know I had to laugh at the same old struggles
That plagued me then are plaguing me still
I know the road is long from the ground to glory
But a boy can hope he's getting some place
But you see, I'm running from the very clothes I'm wearing
And dressed like this I'm fit for the chase

'Cause no, there is none righteous
Not one who understands
There is none who seek God
No not one, I said no not one

So I am thankful that I'm incapable
Of doing any good on my own

'Cause we're all stillborn and dead in our transgressions
We're shackled up to the sin we hold so dear
So what part can I play in the work of redemption
I can't refuse, I cannot add a thing

'Cause I am just like Lazarus and I can hear your voice
I stand and rub my eyes and walk to You
Because I have no choice

I am thankful that I'm incapable
Of doing any good on my own
I'm so thankful that I'm incapable
Of doing any good on my own

'Cause by grace I have been saved
Through faith that's not my own
It is a gift of God and not by works
Lest anyone should boast

No comments: