Saturday, January 19, 2008

January 19th - Gen 47, 48; Ps. 10; Luke 19

Scripture: Psalm 10 Why, O LORD, do you stand far off?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

PS 10:2 In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak,
who are caught in the schemes he devises.

PS 10:3 He boasts of the cravings of his heart;
he blesses the greedy and reviles the LORD.

PS 10:4 In his pride the wicked does not seek him;
in all his thoughts there is no room for God.

PS 10:5 His ways are always prosperous;
he is haughty and your laws are far from him;
he sneers at all his enemies.

PS 10:6 He says to himself, "Nothing will shake me;
I'll always be happy and never have trouble."


Observation: The focus of Psalm 10 is on the problem of theodicy - how the Israelites were prospering in spite of their wickedness. This psalm paints a great word picture of the development and depths of evil going on within this community. First they abandon God, then they test him, and through the process they become increasingly brazen in their rejections of God.

Application: The first application that comes to my mind is that we need to be reminded that those who test God will get their due. We may not understand why God chooses to be patient with these people, but that is not for us to know. Who are we that we might know God's mind? He works in his time, not ours.

Prayer: Father, may I have a spirit of obedience. May I not come to a place where I must challenge your authority upon my life. I praise you for being our Creator God, for being in control of all things, for working all things for your good. Abba grant me the wisdom and patience to endure those who press against you. Amen.

No comments: