Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 6th - Lev. 1-3; Acts 13

Scripture: Leviticus 1:3 " `If the offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he is to offer a male without defect. He must present it at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting so that it will be acceptable to the LORD. 4 He is to lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted on his behalf to make atonement for him. 5 He is to slaughter the young bull before the LORD, and then Aaron's sons the priests shall bring the blood and sprinkle it against the altar on all sides at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 6 He is to skin the burnt offering and cut it into pieces. 7 The sons of Aaron the priest are to put fire on the altar and arrange wood on the fire. 8 Then Aaron's sons the priests shall arrange the pieces, including the head and the fat, on the burning wood that is on the altar. 9 He is to wash the inner parts and the legs with water, and the priest is to burn all of it on the altar. It is a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the LORD.


Observation: The book of Leviticus is one that many Christians breeze by in their scripture reading. It's strange, hard to understand, and much of it is removed from our faith practices. To really understand it you have to gain an understanding of the culture of that time (which I'm not about to begin trying to explain). Seminary opened my understanding of these passages greatly, but I still really struggle to fully understand them on all levels. One thing that I am certain for is that I am glad we no longer have the burden of these systems, that Jesus came as the ultimate sacrifice replacing the old ways.

Application: This passage certainly gives me an appreciation for the dedication of the Israelites. Without having had Jesus as an atonement for their sins, they had an elaborate system by which they were to make their relationship right with God, both individually and corporately. It is my hope that I can share this dedication without the need for the lengthy ritual. I want to find ways that I can regain my focus on the Cross without codifying it into law. We all need to find the way that brings our thoughts back to the Cross. The methods will differ from person to person, but finding what gets you there is important.

Prayer: Jesus, thank you for dieing on the Cross as an atonement for my sins. Thank you for your plan of redemption for your people. We praise you for your glory and your wisdom of this process, knowing that left to ourselves we would naturally move away from you, not towards you as you so deserve. Burden me to pursue pointing my thoughts toward the Cross. Trigger in me a focus that keeps you central without a legalistic system. Amen.

No comments: