Thursday, February 21, 2008

February 21st - Exodus 5; James 3

Scripture: James 3:9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Observation: The words James writes here are eternally convicting. Although we as believers have the indwelling Holy Spirit, and through that the potential for controlling our tongues, we often do not use that resource to keep our mouth in check. James insists that this is not the way it should be. Our mouths are to be instruments of praise!

Application: Count me among those whose mouth says things I regret. As I grow in my faith, I become better in this. An important component has been who I choose to spend time with and the language they use. It is easy to fall into old bad habits, or to pick up things I shouldn't. I will spend more time in the Word, and through that will continue to be transformed. I will also work to keep accountable in my language with other believers.

Prayer: I pray Father for your forgiveness for the times I say things I shouldn't. I pray also for the wisdom to repair any previous damage caused by my tongue. Give me the grace to be gracious with those who have hurt me with their words as well. Amen.

No comments: