Monday, February 11, 2008

February 11th - Lev. 15-17; Acts 18

Sorry I haven't been putting up my thoughts the last few days. I had a crazy weekend with a bunch of job search related things that was keeping me away from my computer. I've been keeping up with my readings, just not my postings!

Scripture: Leviticus 16:3 "This is how Aaron is to enter the sanctuary area: with a young bull for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering. 4 He is to put on the sacred linen tunic, with linen undergarments next to his body; he is to tie the linen sash around him and put on the linen turban. These are sacred garments; so he must bathe himself with water before he puts them on. 5 From the Israelite community he is to take two male goats for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering.

Leviticus 16:20 "When Aaron has finished making atonement for the Most Holy Place, the Tent of Meeting and the altar, he shall bring forward the live goat. 21 He is to lay both hands on the head of the live goat and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites--all their sins--and put them on the goat's head. He shall send the goat away into the desert in the care of a man appointed for the task. 22 The goat will carry on itself all their sins to a solitary place; and the man shall release it in the desert.



Observation: To this day, practicing Jews observe Yom Kippur ("Day of Attonement"). We see in these passages of Leviticus how different were things before Jesus came as our sacrifice. The common theme we see throughout Scripture is that God had a plan for our redemption all along, at any point in time. The main theme of the Bible is through God's love, His plan for our redemption.

Application: First I am thankful that I don't have to practice the various sacrifices and cleansing routines to be seen as clean by God. Jesus has taken the place of my scape goat. This doesn't mean that I shouldn't reflect (and repent!) on the sin in my life. Often I fall into the trap of thinking that my sins are private and only affect me. How full of pride and selfishness is that thinking! I need to be open and accountable about my sin. I need people to hold me accountable, and if I never share my sins, many things will never be known to keep me accountable on.

Prayer: God thank you for sending your Son as a permanent atonement for my sins. I know I am redeemed not by my works, but by Your grace and sacrifice. I pray that you will convict me of my sin, and give me the courage to bring my sins to light so I can move through and past them. Amen.

No comments: