Sunday, February 3, 2008

February 3rd - Ex. 35-26; Acts 10

Scripture: Exodus 35:4 Moses said to the whole Israelite community, "This is what the LORD has commanded: 5 From what you have, take an offering for the LORD. Everyone who is willing is to bring to the LORD an offering of gold, silver and bronze; 6 blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen; goat hair; 7 ram skins dyed red and hides of sea cows; acacia wood; 8 olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense; 9 and onyx stones and other gems to be mounted on the ephod and breastpiece.

Exodus 36:6 Then Moses gave an order and they sent this word throughout the camp: "No man or woman is to make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary." And so the people were restrained from bringing more, 7 because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work.


Observation: It's a wonderful thing when the church leaders have to tell people to STOP giving! Moses puts out the call that those who are willing to contribute, and the response is overwhelming. The crazy thing is, we, the American Church, have the ability to do this. Unfortunately so many of us are unwilling to give up the little extra things for something so much greater. We bathe in luxury while giving our left overs to the church. Jesus had something to say about that. There is nothing wrong with enjoying nice things, it's about having the right priorities and taking care of what we need to take care of.

Application: Well there isn't much I can cut from my current life, we live with a very tight budget. But I have learned that God provides. We need to be good stewards with what we have. We learn elsewhere in scripture that as we handle the small things, more will be trusted to us. I don't think this is limited to just finances, but it has great application there.

I have relied upon His grace in my time of need, and I pray that someday I might be called among those who give so generously that we are asked to stop giving.

Prayer: Yahweh, I have relied upon in my time of need, and I pray that someday I might be called among those who give so generously that we are asked to stop (or reduce) giving. You are the Creator of all things, and I pray that I may be a good steward with what you trust me with. May I multiply what you trust me with. Amen.

No comments: